Call us at 888 977 2254

FECA – Federal Employment Compensation Act

OWCP Schedule Award and FECA Workers Compensation Claim Attorney

The Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs (OWCP) is the organization under the Department of Labor (DOL) that administers the Federal Employee’s Compensation Act (FECA) programs. These programs include wage replacement benefits, medical treatment, vocational rehabilitation and other benefits to federal employees and their dependents. The Federal Employee’s Compensation Act (FECA), 5 USC Chapter 81, provides for the payment of benefits to many federal employees and their dependents for work-related injuries or illnesses resulting from an injury “sustained while in the performance of duty.”

Note that federal employees generally have three years to file a claim for an injury. To receive continuation of pay (COP), a claim for a traumatic injury must be filed within 30 days of the injury on Form CA-1. If no claim has been filed after 30 days, the CA-1 form should still be filled out as soon as possible.

If you sustain an occupational disease or illness (an injury that happens over time), you should file Form CA-2 with your agency. You can obtain the CA-1 and CA-2 forms from your agency or on the Internet.

To file a claim for compensation for lost wages due to a traumatic injury or occupational disease, file Form CA-7 with your agency.

In order for a workers’ compensation claim to be approved, you must provide medical and factual evidence to establish five basic elements:

  • The claim was filed within the time limits set by the FECA.
  • The injured or deceased person was an employee within the meaning of the FECA.
  • The employee actually developed a medical condition (or damaged a prosthesis) in a particular way.
  • The employee was in the performance of duty when the event(s) leading to the claim occurred.
  • The medical condition found resulted from the event(s) leading to the claim.

Free Consultation

Explore your options with one of our attorneys today. We offer a free initial phone consultation, during which we can discuss your case. This is an excellent opportunity for you to decide if our firm is right for you. Call us at 888-977-2254 to get started.

Other Federal Employee Issues

  • Disability retirement
  • MSPB cases.
  • EEO cases (discrimination).
  • Federal Tort Claim Act (FTCA) cases.

CALL US AT 888-977-2254